[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Image license tags

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Mar 8 16:39:48 UTC 2006

Mark Wagner wrote:

>To get an idea as to what sort of image tagging is currently being used, I
>did a survey of the license tags applied to the 2000 most recent images
>uploaded (which represents about 24 hours and 20 minutes of uploading).  Of
>those images, 134 were duplicate uploads or otherwise not accounted for,
>leaving 1,866 images to check for tags.  The detailed results are at
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Carnildo/upload_stats
>
>For 1,866 images uploaded, 2,014 license tags were applied:
>
>745 images were tagged as some sort of "fair use".  The vast majority used
>one of the boilerplate templates, with most of the images being tagged as
>screenshots, covers, logos, and promotional images.  Only 26 generic "fair
>use" tags were used, with most of them being "fair use in".

This is good news actually! Boilerplates can be handled en masse with
tools as we improve our policy. It's the generic tags that require the
one-by-one manual evaluation.

>The "CopyrightedFreeUseProvidedThat" tag is a problem: of the seven images
>so tagged, two of them had decidedly non-free "provided that" clauses,
>forbidding modification and commercial use.

I wouldn't miss it if it were retired, it's just confusing.

It would be interesting to retain the list of images and then see what's
happened to them a month from now. Empirically I've noticed that a lot of
fair use images are uploaded for articles that are soon deleted, and are
in turn deleted because they are orphans. I wouldn't be surprised if most
of the day's non-free uploads were gone after a month or two.

Stan