[WikiEN-l] April Fool's Day proposal

Sue Reed sreed1234 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 00:35:46 UTC 2006

--- The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope you do understand my basic point, that the "let's
> be silly on
> April Fool's Day by being serious" argument does have
> some weaknesses.

It depends on who the audience for the silliness is. If the
audience for the silliness is the Wikipedia community, than
you're right in his argument having weaknesses. If the
audience for the silliness is the larger Internet community
that might visit Wikipedia during the day, than planning
things out makes a whole lot of sense.

As someone who has worked on many "April Fools" editions of
newspapers, there is a lot of planning that goes into
those.

To add my two cents into the mix, I think doing things like
changing up the logo or even adding silly titles on things
is great fun. However, I do think there needs to be care
taken in any purely fake news that people may choose to
publish. The line between parody and libel can be very
thin.

Sue Anne
[[user:Sreed1234]]