[WikiEN-l] April Fool's Day proposal

Death Phoenix originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 00:00:25 UTC 2006

On 3/7/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/7/06, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/7/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Some might consider the above argument to be a solipsistic defense of
> > > being stuffy and taking oneself too seriously.
> > >
> > > Especially considering the source.
> >

> > Whoa, have your posts actually disintegrated into making overt ad
> hominems,
> > rather than thinly veiled ones? Careful, your guard is down.
>
> Huh? I'm just saying that Jimbo is not exactly an anti-authoritarian
> figure in the world of Wikipedia. I'm criticizing the argument, not
> the man. I'm pretty sure Jimbo doesn't need others to fight on his
> behalf, particularly against me.
>
> I hope you do understand my basic point, that the "let's be silly on
> April Fool's Day by being serious" argument does have some weaknesses.

Well, I'm actually not saying "let's be silly", at least not w.r.t. the
[[Main Page]]. Rather, I'm proposing that we play a trick (meta-trick?) on
our readers, a task which requires a bit of serious work, but not without
applying a sense of humour. I know I can't edit some of these unusual
articles without at least a drop of humour.

I'm not specifically advocating this, but silliness will likely occur within
the Wikipedia-space, but the main articlespace, especially the Main Page,
probably needs a little more restraint.