[WikiEN-l] Daily premier anonymity

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 6 00:20:45 UTC 2006

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> Of course, no way in hell that Wikipedia will do away with the user
> account concept. It is just to deeply rooted. But thinking about it
> can give you some insight on flaws in how Wikipedia currently
> operates. For example, did you know that in some universities
> professors are not able to see the students names on exams and papers
> handed in? Why do you think that is and do you think Wikipedia users
> are in general better than university professors?

When marking exams, it is of paramount importance to be fair to the
student who wrote the exam. The quality of the _student_ is the
important thing. When compiling an encyclopedia, on the other hand, it
is of paramount importance to ensure that the _encyclopedia_ is of good
quality. I don't think you can directly compare the two since the goals
are so different.