[WikiEN-l] Blocking for inappropriate usernames

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 5 21:29:13 UTC 2006

XaosFluX wrote:

> This policy may need some review, but as an admin I've
> {{usernameblock}}'ed on sight new accounts such as "Another wiki
> cheese-ology vandal".  Users declaring their intenet to vandalize the
> project in their username should be clear enough.

I don't see any problem with it when the intent is that obvious. There
was some controversy a while back about user names that announced
themselves to be "trolls", since that may suggest a variety of things
and even if people can agree that you're talking about an [[internet
troll]], they may not agree on what behavior is implied and whether it
warrants blocking. However, as I'm quite certain that nobody from a
Germanic tribe of Late Antiquity will be editing Wikipedia, anyone
announcing themselves as a vandal can and should be blocked.

--Michael Snow