[WikiEN-l] Daily premier anonymity

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 5 18:05:23 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> In a perfect world, we could have perfect anonymity in this matter
> (actually, we wouldn't /need/ anonymity), but the world is far from
> perfect. I'm not going to buy into the "this proposal amounts to
> trolling" argument, except to say this: removing usernames from
> contributions would be a troll's paradise.

And probably a violation of the GFDL as far as I can tell. I'm proud of
my edits (well, 99.99% of them :), I _want_ my edits to be attributed to
me. If Wikipedia were to start hiding them I would be nonplussed.

Besides which I can't really see any reason why this change would be
useful in the first place. If a person wants anonymity they can just
pick a random username and log in with that. The IP records are gone
after a few weeks, I'm told. As long as they don't engage in
sock-puppetry I don't see a problem.