[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 43

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Sun Mar 5 17:28:31 UTC 2006

> From: "charles matthews" <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>
>
> "Daniel P. B. Smith" wrote
>
>> The reliability of the source is relatively less important. The only
>> real problem occurs when the "source" is, in fact, another entity
>> like Wikipedia--one in which the identity and credentials of the
>> contributor are not easy to assess.
>
> Or an average nineteenth century historian.

Not at all.

I take your remark to mean that you regard "an average nineteenth
century historian" as an unreliable source. Fine. That doesn't make
it an inappropriate source.

If you see something in Wikipedia and it's not sourced, you don't
know what to think. If you see something in Wikipedia and it's
sourced to someone you recognize as an average nineteenth century
historian, you do know what to think and can give it the amount of
credence you consider appropriate.

There is an enormous difference between an unsourced statement and
one that is sourced to, say, the National Review. Or The Progressive.
Or, for that matter, the National Enquirer.