[WikiEN-l] Daily premier anonymity

Jonathan dzonatas at dzonux.net
Sat Mar 4 19:44:53 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>How does this help the vast majority of peaceful editing that goes on?
>It seems it would just lead to conusion, lack of teamwork, and lack of
>recognition for one's efforts. If you look at the history of an
>article you've worked on, you like to be able to distinguish edits
>from users who haven't edited that article before.
>
>I also believe users are already pretty anonymous - it's no effort for
>a user to get themselves a second or third account if they really want
>it.
>
>Steve

It's meant to improve quality by anonymity -- not to keep people
completely anonymous. Even if people trust another's recent edit by
their name, it would be nice to know that such work is still being
scrutinized as well as every other edit. The only argument I've seen
against it is based on a preference for convenience. One must ask --
does such convenience affect quality?

"...technology often forces us to choose between quality and
convenience." (Alan C. Kay, Computers, networks and education,
/Scientific American/, September 1991).

http://www.squeakland.org/school/HTML/sci_amer_article/sci_amer_03.html

Consider that the open content is pretty liberal, are we just peacefully
editing or peacefully tinkering? That same article has this to say about
it: "Media can also lure us into thinking we are creating by design when
in fact we are just tinkering. Consider the difficulty of transforming
clay-a perfectly malleable and responsive substance into anything
aesthetically satisfying. Perfect "debugability," or malleability, does
not make up for lack of an internal image and shaping skills.
Unfortunately, computers lend themselves to such "clay pushing"; they
tempt users to try to debug constructions into existence by trial and
error."

I don't see how anonymity can actually ruin distinguished efforts,
peaceful editing, or lack of teamwork if the anonymity is not to
completely keep people anonymous. One can always sign there user name to
an entry and reveal who they are. Given there are options to reveal who
made the change, it's not kept a secret. Just the identity of who made
the change is not obvious to the casual reader, which includes editors
that haven't edited the article for a day.

As for efforts, there are aways other means that can be developed. For
example, a stats page that reveals who contributed the most to an
article, or a page that lists all the authors of an article (which is
needed by the GFDL anyways.)

Jonathan