[WikiEN-l] Verifiability - Case Study I

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 3 18:32:16 UTC 2006

Slim Virgiin wrote

> Sorry, Charles, your examples are going to have to get hotter than
> that one. :-)  An anon IP making a drive-by deletion isn't going to be
> affected by the contents of V.  We need a concrete example of where V
> or NOR are causing the deletion of unsourced edits that are otherwise
> known to be accurate.

Talk:Johann Hari is worth reading (how do we know that Hari claims that the
Dalai Lama called him 'fat'?).

This is said justification:

"The reason I deleted the schools list is because I couldn't see any proof
for it; I have now e-mailed Hari and he has given me a list of his schools,
so hopefully we now have consensus on that."

This is at least 50% wrong, as we know.  What I say is that the lack of the
basic 'due diligence' taken on 'proof' makes it in the region of 80% wrong.

I will make an effort to send something more confusing, next, as this is so
trite to the experts.  My years in academia did suggest starting at the
beginning.

Charles