[WikiEN-l] The admin problem

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 3 17:19:14 UTC 2006

 "John Lee" wrote

>I  think this is a rather good point being made -- consensus isn't scaling,
> at least when it comes to policy matters and meta issues, like wheel
> warring. On nearly everything else -- hell, even AfD (as a once-regular
> AfD closer now taking a break, I think much of the problems with it are
> overhyped) -- consensus is working great. But on policy, things are
> moving at a glacially slow pace.

A non-scaling idea of consensus is what we call 'not a consensus'.

There used to be a fairly relaxed view of policy.  That is, there was the
newbie version, which was fairly aspirational, and the 'old lags' version,
which tested the limits, but took various good things like 'be bold' and
'assume good faith' and 'ignore all rules' (when the situation warranted it)
as central - rather than assuming there was a theory test and manual of
style handed out as you came in.

Have things moved on?  Yes.  We (metaphorically) shot the Old Bolsheviks, by
banning User:Wik and annoying User:RickK and busting User:Ed Poor so far
back into the ranks that his eyes watered.  There may be one or two OBs
left, but not many.  It's a newish world out there.

And we now have to plan for 'The Eight-Figure enWP'.

When?  Four years from now.  That's compound growth of 1.2% per week,
extrapolated.

Policy is going to be tighter.  Wonkery is here to stay.  Exegesis of policy
is going to matter (I've just sent a Verifiability case study around, which
was of course not aimed at SlimVirgin, who knows all this.)  'Unexpected
consequences' bedevil us.  For example, make people log in to create pages,
and you get more logged in users, wondering about ... userboxes.  Hah.

Glacial is about right (geese, golden eggs).  Remembering that 2005, which
the media are delighted to call a tough time for WP, was in fact a
breakthrough year of huge achievement with a few blemishes on the face of
things.  Must have been WP's adolescence.

As they say, though not always of wikis - so cute when they're young, shame
they have to grow up.

Charles