[WikiEN-l] Verifiability - Case Study I

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 3 15:43:45 UTC 2006

A  couple of combative columnists, [[Johann Hari]] and [[Mark Steyn]].

I'll take Johann Hari first, since the issues are entry-level.

User:81.157.14.152 thought that his secondary schooling was not verifiable,
and cut it out (20 February); no edit summary, let alone discussion.  One of
the schools in question is [[John Lyon School]]. The information that Hari
went there was added on 17 February by User:Epitome1, who had the same day
edited the page, [[John Lyon School]]. And then immediately gone on to add
the fat that Hari was an alumnus.

Reasonable presumption would take it that User:Epitome1 has a close enough
connection to John Lyon School; perhaps even was a pupil there with Hari, or
teaches there.  Nothing to raise the slightest suspicion, anyway.

So User:81.157.14.152 cuts out this and another school.  Objections from
User:Felix-felix, who puts it back in.  Talk page discussion:
User:81.157.14.152 emails Hari to check, and comes back satisfied on the
John Lyon School, at least.

But under [[Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons]], of course, we cannot
accept this information, on the basis of a supposed email exchange.

Further, if someone actually was at school with Hari, we cannot accept that
testimony, at least until they point to a published school list (which in
effect displaces them as witness).

The article can get by, without the school information.  But it is not
without interest: Hari went to Cambridge, and has had a spectacular career
while still young, from a background which was probably too poor to be
considered very middle class.

Charles