[WikiEN-l] Verifiability and Africa

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 13:55:02 UTC 2006

On 02/03/06, Jon <thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> To be blunt, which bit of saying that every bit of info must be supported
> by a verifiable and reputable source is unclear?
>
>   In this instance, the information is clearly unverifiable, so it
> shouldn't be added.
>
>   Jon

Why shouldn't unverifiable information be added? Most of the content on
Wikipedia is unverified.

Are people going to go and remove it all?

It's pretty POV to just pick and choose the stuff you don't like, and remove
it because of it being "unverifiable".

I'll point out that I think it's most sensible to rely only on verified
information, but Wikipedia has not in the past seriously implemented such
theoretical ideals. If people are going to start doing so, do it across the
board please. I don't doubt the encyclopaedia would be a vast amount smaller
and less broad if only verified information is left in it! Wikipedia has not
succeeded at even beginning to conform to its ideals.

Zoney

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...