[WikiEN-l] Protection of the Today's FA

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 13:36:57 UTC 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=protect&user=&page=Triumph+of+the+Will

> > Comments? ~~~~
> >
> > Zzyzx11 at en.wikipedia.org
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zzyzx11
> > zzyzx11 at hotmail.com
> >
> That policy makes no sense.  I agree that protection should be avoided
> if at all possible on visible articles but the policy is taken way too
> literally at times and there are times when protection of an FA is a
> good idea.

I agree. Way too many vandalisms from IPs and new users vs the *VERY* little to any improvement
those user classes make to the article while it is a TFA. All the many reverts do is take time
away from fighting other vandalism and pollute the history page with anon edit followed by revert
times 50 to a 100 for any TFA. TFA is supposed to showcase our very best work, not a page whose
only content for several minutes is ‘I like farts’.

We needn't hype the editability fact so much given that we get many edits, have so many editors,
and that readers outnumber editors by at least 200 to 1. The vast, vast majority of people who now
come to Wikipedia expect to see quality content not fart jokes. Because of that, vandalism is
becoming increasingly less and less tolerable in my mind; even when it only is in the top edit for
less than a minute given that one or more readers may have loaded that page in that time.

Ideally I would like to see the saving of *all* edits by anons and new users to be delayed until
they are OKd by a trusted user (to be defined) or a clock runs out (default could be 5 minutes and
admins could increase that time on a per article basis).

But enough is enough.

-- mav