[WikiEN-l] Verifiability and Africa

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Fri Mar 3 12:41:19 UTC 2006

Actually it keeps what you do dirty and unreliable. We have an
article, "Damned knowledge" which partially addresses this question.
Political and ethnic considerations should play a minimum role is
what is considered knowledge. That is one reason I defended
User:Deeceevoice so strongly (although she undoubtedly considers me
her worst enemy). I continue to maintain that should a village elder
(or high school student) in Africa manage somehow to get on-line and
write an article about their village we should be happy to have the
input. Consider our article about Bonanza, Colorado, a decrepit
collection of shacks in a barren gully in Colorado, who if you would
believe Wikipedia, has an per capita income of $66,857. If I should
add information from my personal knowledge that the reason for this
astounding statistic is that one of the fourteen souls who was
counted in the 2000 census has a nice income, but while he does not
live in the town, other than brief periods in the summer, maintains
his legal residence there so that he and his friends can vote there,
in one of the tiniest incorporated towns in the United States, I
would be adding unverified information. If I went further and
speculated that the reason for the struggle for control of the town
government was related to hopes regarding legalized gambling, I might
be even further out of line. Yes, the line must be drawn somewhere,
but an image of this desolate wasteland might prove very
illuminating, despite being very much original research.

Fred