[WikiEN-l] Escaping the GDFL -- can it be done?

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 11:52:15 UTC 2006

Fastfission wrote:
> And now... for something completely different.

<snip>
> The idea of multi-licensing has been pursued on the project at
> different times, whereby contributions are indicates as being
> licenseable under the GFDL or another, similarly "free" license (i.e.,
> CC-BY-SA or CC-SA). There was also the big push, awhile ago, to get
> users to put templates on their user pages indicating that their
> present, future, and, I think, *past* contributions were
> multi-licensed as well -- I believe it had to do with making certain
> articles compatible with WikiCities' license. The basic idea was to
> run a bot to find all of the "authors" the articles in question and
> see if they would agree to this. I don't know how this worked out, but
> it was an interesting idea.

It initially started with the Rambot articles, so that WikiTravel could
use them.

> Based on this principle: can one really ask users to
> re-(multi)-license their PAST contributions? That is, can I say, "All
> those contributions I said were under the GFDL? Well, now I want them
> to also be GFDL or CC-BY-SA." Legally, I'm suspicious, but I'm also
> not a lawyer.

Um, Stallman says CC is bad, because people assume that all Creative
Commons licenses are the same without understanding the consequences -
so people don't understand why cc-by-nd-nc isn't a Free license. "But
it's Creative Commons!" they protest. "You use /that/ stuff which is
Creative Commons, so why not mine?"

> If this principle works -- couldn't we change the terms of use? That
> is, instead of every edit being licenseable under the GFDL, couldn't
> we change it to say that "this contribution, and any other
> contribution I have previously made, is licenseable under the GFDL or
> any other similarly 'free' license"? It wouldn't necessarily get *all*
> of the content out of the GFDL but, if we assume that many of the
> editors now were editors previously, it would potentially "free up" a
> very large amount of content. If an individual editor objected to this
> for some reason (I can't imagine why, but let's just say they did),
> then they'd be prohibited from editing, the same way we do when people
> suddenly claim that the intent to retain copyright on their edits.

Well, you'd need to define "similarly free" first...

Supposing that this was put into place, all that would change from an
editor's point of view would be the edit page - instead of "Content must
not violate any copyright and must be verifiable. You agree to license
your contributions under the GFDL", it would have the name of the other
license/complex licensing conditions.

Speaking of people objecting to our current licensing, check out
[[Talk:Bruce Perens]]. Apparantly he objects to us having an article on
him, because he has issues with the license we are using... oh, and
apparantly we're neither a Free Software project *or* an Open Source
project. Hrm.