[WikiEN-l] Jordanhill railway station Commemoration

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 3 04:29:23 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of SJ

> > But I have to wonder about the reaction of the railway
> administration
> > and whether they might think we are taking ourselves a bit too
> > seriously. It's only a website, after all.
>
> And the Library of Congress is only a building...
>
> ...with 118 million items and 500 miles of shelf space.

I take your point, but really it is up to ScotRail to approve a plaque. They
may think it just as good an idea as I do, but if they say "Huh?" we should
not be too disheartened. People who make trains run on time may not be
travelling along the same intellectual tracks as we are.

Besides, my experience with things of this nature is that although they
attract great anticipation in advance and excitement when they occur, a few
days later the fires of enthusiasm burn low. I cannot say that the media
coverage has been as jubilant as one might wish for, and it is not a story
with "legs", not unless the article becomes the subject of bitter sectarian
conflict or something, which prospect seems remote at this juncture.

I advise caution, but if the outside world shows interest, then we should
send our most silver-tongued representative to make a pitch for a brass
plaque.

Peter (Skyring)