[WikiEN-l] The admin problem

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 3 01:31:45 UTC 2006

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  You're asking me to take on faith that you know better than
>> me,
>>

> Yes.   I cannot discuss the contents of email communications with you,
> but I can say that Ta bu shi da yu's actions had the full support of
> Jimbo Wales.

I hate to jump in on a conversation that seems to have ended
acrimoniously, but it's kind of important considering image deletion
isn't revertible. If Jimbo has decided that a class of images that are
otherwise acceptable on Wikipedia in accordance with Wikipedia's
policies are instead to be deleted wholesale, then why in heaven's name
won't he just _say_ so in a public place? It's within his authority,
after all, and would make things so much easier for everyone. Secrecy
just doesn't make any sense.
>> despite all evidence to the contrary.
>>

> There is no evidence to the contrary.  You're being unbelievably
> obtuse and grossly offensive, but you have absolutely no grounds to
> attack Ta bu shi da yu in this way and no grounds for your repeated
> false claim that I have misrepresented the facts.

As an outside observer who hasn't seen anything except what's been
posted on this thread, I must say that I just can't see this.
"Misinterpretation" is a far cry from "misrepresentation." It can be
completely innocent, and can happen to anyone.

And in the end, it doesn't really matter who misinterpreted what or who
insulted who in this particular case. The end result of relying on
private emails that can't be made public is that new editors coming
along (like me) won't have any idea what the correct action in this
situation is. I think it's quite reasonable to point out this problem.