[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 00:04:34 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, slimvirgin at gmail.com <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Jon <thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > This is succinct, to the point, and absolutely correct. It doesn't need development (keep things simple!).
> >
> >   All you need now is to get rid of the nonsense in the first half of the policy page referring to what the policy isn't, and stick to saying clearly what the policy is. At present the first third of the page just tells you WP's not looking for truth!!?!?!?!?!!!
> >
> But that's arguably the most important part of the policy, Jon. If
> people understand that the threshold for inclusion is verifiability,
> not truth, then they've grasped the essence of V and NOR.
> Unfortunately, lots of people just don't get it, which is why the
> point is made right at the top of the page.

I think one point of confusion is that we're putting
* implications of the policy
* guidelines based on the policy
* interpretations of the policy

on the same page as the policy.

The only thing that should be on the policy page is the policy.

In fact, this is certain ways the type of confusion that motivated
Larry Sanger to create Meta.