[WikiEN-l] Escaping the GFDL -- can it be done?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Mar 2 23:34:01 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Steven Ericsson Zenith <steven at semeiosis.org> wrote:

> Philip is correct.  The only way to escape the GDFL is to rewrite the
> entire encyclopedia under a different license - or get every single
> contributor to agree to reassign the content.  Good luck with that.

You could always mix the two.  Relicense some parts and rewrite the
rest.  Of course, figuring out which parts are relicensed and which
aren't is almost as hard as just rewriting the thing.

> The first approach actually seems viable to me - see
> http://www.panopedia.org  :-)
>
> With respect,
> Steven

The first approach is of course viable.  At the very worst it could be
done with the same amount of time it took to create the current
version.  But in practice it'd be easier.  Plus, you could fact check
and reference while you're at it.

In the long term, on the order of a decade or so, this is probably
what's going to wind up happening anyway.

Anthony