[WikiEN-l] Verifiability and Africa

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:06:29 UTC 2006

Actually, it's an interesting extreme, but to be honest, this is the way a
lot of articles are written.  Generally I write from what I know and find
sources to support "what I know" and to fill in the gaps in what's in my
head.  To begin with, when I didn't know how things worked, I didn't even
realise that I was supposed to be providing sources.

Today there are two main ways I write, but in both cases I tend to work from
what I already know.  When I write about science I write without sources,
but my knowledge is based on sources that I have read.  The challenge is to
find the sources to support the info I got from them.  On the other hand,
when I write about Trinidadian topics I am writing from personal experience,
which I must then find sources to support.  This can be difficult, because
when I read academic sources (especially those written by outsiders) I tend
to find myself picking out their mistakes.  All sorts of great article ideas
go unwritten or remain as stubs because I can't find acceptable sources.

Is it POV to discard a source if it fails to support your narrative?
Absolutely.  But if the alternative is to use an obviously flawed source,
what do you do?  In my experience, it has been "not write the article".  But
if someone else were to use to flawed source and assert something that is
inaccurate, I'd be in a very difficult position - knowing, on one hand that
the material was flawed or one-sided, but lacking the sources to support an
alternative narrative.

To the person working from oral sources, there's a problem with Wikipedia.
Since the written sources are largely controlled by outsiders or certain
classes, systemic bias will be re-inforced by simply sticking to verifiable
sources.  On the other hand, "because I grew up there I know the place"
isn't good enough for an encyclopaedia either

Ian