[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

slimvirgin at gmail.com slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 14:14:57 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point is: *Detected* original research is easy to deal with, and
> doesn't need such a heavy handed policy. And in any case, WP:OR is the
> place to deal with that problem.
>
> People should never hesitate to remove material which is factually
> incorrect and unsourced. But correct and unsourced is another matter.

This entirely misses the point of the policy. We don't publish
material that is "factually correct." We publish material that other
reputable publications have published. If we leave it to individual
editors to decide what is "factually correct," then we're into
original-research territory, subjective views, people's prejudices,
people's ignorance. Where our judgment comes in is in deciding which
sources are the most trustworthy in the given area i.e. the most
likely to be "factually correct." But we're always one step removed
from that idea ourselves. The criterion for entry into Wikipedia is
verifiability, not truth.

Regarding the relationship between NOR and V, they are inextricably
linked, in that the only way to show you're not doing OR is to cite a
source.

Sarah