[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:45:25 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> With any luck it's keeping the original research out.

Is undetected original research a big problem in practice? Is this
policy going to have any effect on undetected original research?

My point is: *Detected* original research is easy to deal with, and
doesn't need such a heavy handed policy. And in any case, WP:OR is the
place to deal with that problem.

> Don't forget that we're working towards 1.0 and a million featured
> articles...

With all the time in the world ;)

> Good, much better than my version. But we also need to encourage people
> to cite their sources (where possible) and remind them that anything
> which doesn't seem quite right *is likely to be removed*.

I'm glad you've made the distinction between an unsourced edit and
"anything which doesn't seem quite right". They're not the same.
People should never hesitate to remove material which is factually
incorrect and unsourced. But correct and unsourced is another matter.

Steve