[WikiEN-l] Pity the admin....

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at octa4.net.au
Thu Mar 2 08:30:54 UTC 2006

It looks like I may be the only person who reads this list who has been
involved in this "mess".

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:03:05AM +0100, MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> I'm not sure that info should go anywhere. Surely it's a fringe theory?

No, it is not fringe. It is from the most modern researched biography
of Baden-Powell. It does not state he was homosexual. It raises some
serious issues about a man who started a major youth movement. These are
important.

This was hived off to a sub article with the agreement of both sides who
had been warring about what went into the main article. They then agreed
on the content as part of the war was about how much to add to the main
article without losing the balance there between different parts of his
life

Note the nominator wants to get rid of it as a "smear" against Baden-Powell.
It is'nt yet some Scouts see him so much as God that they can not bear to
see any possible criticism. Actually I do not think the article is
critical in any bad sense. It shows he was human, battled with a rather
strange sexual orientation, yet won out and founded Scouting and had, late
in life, three kids. It makes him more of a hero to me, not less.

Even if it is kept, some argument will continue, but it will in the end
make a better article. If it is deleted it will just be back to war
again on the main article. It is best kept. It is important.

However, I'm not an admin, so I do not have to sort it out.

         Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) b_duke at octa4.net.au
       Post: 626 Melbourne Rd, Spotswood, VIC, 3015, Australia
    Phone 03-93992847. http://members.iinet.net.au/~linden1/brian/
Honorary Researcher Fellow, Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry, Monash Univ.