[WikiEN-l] Pity the admin....

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 07:55:35 UTC 2006

Peter Mackay wrote:
>>From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
>>[mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Guy
>>Chapman aka JzG
>

>>...who has to close this mess:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/R
>>obert_Baden-Powell%27s_sexual_orientation
>>
>>A whole article devoted to speculation in a couple of books
>>on the sexuality of the founder of Scouting, apparently
>>because nobody could agree how little of it should go in the
>>main article.
>>
>>The word count given to such speculation between the two
>>articles, is, according to my rough and ready count, more or
>>less equivalent to the combined count for his military career
>>AND the founding of the Scout Movement.  Can we say "undue weight"?
>

> I was looking up some recent historical figure yesterday - can't remember
> who - and the second para of the article was devoted to speculation about
> his homosexuality. I thought that was really weird.

That wasn't Richard the Lionheart by any chance was it?

> I'm not uncomfortable
> with famous people being homosexual, but I'm just not sure that we need to
> give such prominence and weight. It's almost as if such people are being
> used as posthumous pin-up boys for modern day homosexual folk, when the
> reality is that we are writing biographical articles about the careers and
> achievements of these people, not about who poked whom. This information
> should go at the bottom, maybe in a trivia section.

Or better yet, in a seperate article which lumps all of the various
speculations about a hundred different figures in history together on
one page, and *then* we will have a decent article.

And know, I'm not proposing it be called [[Historical figures who poked
people they shouldn't have]].