[WikiEN-l] The admin problem

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 01:46:57 UTC 2006

> > That kind of corrosive supiciousness is the problem.  For the most
> > part our administrators, those who are involved in backchannel
> > operations, are the best and the most trustworthy we have.

This is basically right, because the people who actually want to get stuff
done don't want to go through the trouble of haggling with process
fetishists and the 10% of people who oppose everything. Trying to convince
everyone that a particular action is right is a waste of time. No matter
what you do, there will always be someone who thinks you should have done
the opposite. Back-channels are the only way to get input from only rational
people, and cut out the trolls and so on.

On 2/28/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd say that the suspiciousness wasn't the problem, but the
> backchannel authorization. The admin was doing something that
> antagonized a lot of other editors' sensibilities, and rightly was
> held to account. Deleting images is a Big Deal because it's
> permanently destructive.

If deleting copyvios with an OK from Jimbo "antagonized a lot of other
editors' sensibilities", I can't be bothered to care. These people will be
offended by anything. If someone has a rational reason to object, I'll be
more inclined to say that we should talk it out.

Ryan