[WikiEN-l] An alternative to "critics"

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Mon Jul 31 22:25:47 UTC 2006

"Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
I've never much liked sentences that start "Critics argue that...".
Here's an alternative I saw at [[Tied Test]]:

Some commentators believed Chappell should have taken Snedden's word
that the catch was good.

> On 7/31/06, Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's still weasel words. How about, "So and So from ''newspaper X''
>> have written that that dude messed up and should be fired. <source
>> from newspaper X by So and So>"  Be specific.  Who are these
>> "commentators" or "critics".  If it is a general feeling, then is
>> there some sort of poll that could show that?  --LV
>
> Obviously specific quotes are the best solution. But the wiki model
> strongly encourages the addition of "better" while waiting for "best".
>
> At least by saying "some commentators", you're not trying to imply
> that it was a "general feeling" - it's simply *some* (preferably
> notable) people expressed that opinion.

I agree with Lord Voldemort... and not only does wordsmithing the
weasel words not help _much,_ in this case I don't even think it's
clear whether the proposed substitute helps at all. To me, the phrase
"critics charge" is a warning that this represents a point of view
that is held by a substantial number of people, but probably a
faction, and probably a minority. "Some commentators" is vaguer and
_softens_ the impression that a faction is being represented.

But frankly I think the "better solution while waiting for the best"
is to slap a {{citation needed}} on any sentence beginning  "critics
charge..." and delete it eventually if none is forthcoming.

The funny thing, of course, is that an actual verbatim quote from one
particular critic is usually stronger, more flavorful, and more
precise than any attempt to summarize what "the critics charge."
Which is better:

"Critics charge that the United States Constitution failed to define
a meaningful role for the Vice President"

or

"In 1932, John Nance Garner said 'The vice presidency isn't worth a
pitcher of warm piss.'"

{{cite book|title=Cassell's Humorous Quotations|first=Nigel|last=Rees|
publisher=Sterling Publishing Company, Inc.|year=2003|id=ISBN
0304365882}} [http://tinyurl.com/g9lal p. 760]

"Critics charge" is journalistic language. _This is OK_ in a
newspaper because the assumption (don't pile on me, I know about
Jayson Blair), ah say the _assumption_ is that reporters are
authorities, maintain journalistic standards, and wouldn't write
"critics charge" unless it were reasonably accurate. It's not OK in
Wikipedia.