[WikiEN-l] Dead wikipedians and how to really make a project boring to death

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jul 30 08:17:35 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:

>>You might be interested in trying to breathe som life back
>>info
>><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Licensing_for_community_images>.
>>

>No, not at all.  Wikipedia politics is not a game I'm good at playing.

Aren't you ashamed to be claiming that your time could be better spent
doing something else? ;-)

>>However what I'm trying to say is that I'm uncomfortable with the idea of
>>a handfull of users just desciding that in this one case we will simply
>>ignore a core policy of the project because it doesn't allow them to do
>>what they want to.
>>

>And I completely agree with this part of your argument.  There
>shouldn't be a special exception made just for this case.  If the vast
>majority of people agree that Wikipedia should include this image in
>the Wikipedia namespace, then we should be asking ourselves why, and
>adapting the policy to fit this situation.

Okay.  At the same time we could say that it's only a handful of users
who spend their time writing policies.  A few others get involved becaus
the proposed policy affects what they are doing  at that time.  Most of
us would prefer to avoid the mind-fucking experience of policy writing.

Ec