[WikiEN-l] Accented characters (was Re: fancruft)

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 22:05:48 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, John Lyden <rasputinaxp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still roughly confused as to why some people are pilloried for
> applying [[Wikipedia:Naming conventions (use English)]] to hockey
> players.

Because that guideline doesn't have 100% consensus, especially for
peoples' names, and secondarily for placenames.  You might not like
that fact, but we wouldn't have constant arguments about the topic
were the consensus solid.

This is made more complex by the fact that 'use English' is in itself
a complex issue.  Some - many - English-language publications use
diacritics.  It's also somewhat debatable whether 'use English' means
'always transliterate into diacriticless spellings'.

-Matt