[WikiEN-l] Common sense exceptions to our copyright policy.

Sherool jamydlan at online.no
Sat Jul 29 15:45:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:25:22 +0200, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> On 7/29/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That said, I think "saying no" would cause a real reduction in bad
>> images... but if we aren't careful how we say no we will encourage
>> people to twiddle the knobs until they've left misleading metadata.
>> I'd rather we have more violations which are tagged somewhat correctly
>> than fewer violations but with them tagged as free content.
>
> Maybe if there weren't any knobs at all it'd be better.
>
> 1) Any logged in user can upload an image, if they include text which
> explains why they think the image fits within the policy.  A tutorial
> can help guide them as to what the policy is, but ultimately anything
> can be uploaded with explanatory text.
>
> 2) Only after you've convinced us that you know what you're talking
> about and aren't lying about everything, then you get a pulldown menu
> of choices.
>
> This strategy would probably work best if there were a way to lock an
> image so that it can't appear in any article.  Who would be able to
> add or remove the lock, and whether or not the lock would be on or off
> by default (personally I'd say probably off) could be tweaked to find
> the best solution.  Blatant violations would of course be deleted -
> the lock would be for situations where there's just not enough
> explanation, or the explanation hasn't been checked.

Hmm, this gave be an idea, maybe not a good idea, but I'll throw it out
there anyway:

Remove the dropdown list entierly. Rather than a copyright tag include a
boilplate text that give detailed step by step instruction on what you
need to add to the image to have it kept. This boilplace also categorise
the image as [[Category:Incomplete uploads as of XXX]] (replace XXX with
the date). The "sucessfull upload" message should also be changed to make
it clear that unless the uploader goes to the image page and follow the
instructions and include all the required information the upload is
considered "incomplete" and the image can not be used and will be deleted
after a week (yes the downside would be that even peple who know what they
are doing would have to do this for each upload) unless the process is
completed by having the proper source and license data added.

Then have a bot summarily remove all "incomplete uploads" from articles
and remind the uploader after a couple of days (kinda like what Orphan bot
does now), and make images with the default boilplate intact after a week
a speedy deletion criterea.

This would force the uploader to read a bit and work a little to find the
correct tag rater than just picking something at random from a dropdown
list. The problem is though that a lot of people are remarkably resistant
to taking any notice of instructions and warnings. They just want to
upload cool images, and get very upset when we remove and delete them.

--
[[:en:User:Sherool]]