[WikiEN-l] Common sense exceptions to our copyright policy.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 08:30:43 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hate to spoil your fun, but what is going to stop people from just
> claiming "Yes, I made this" on every random image they get from
> Flickr/Photobucket/Google images?

I would be surprised if changing from a "stick a template on a page
and hope no one notices" to a "tell us honestly - did you make this?
we're going to check!" model, made no difference. People who aren't
there for malicious reasons are going to dislike blatantly lying when
asked "did you take this photo with your own camera?"

So: physically what stops them? Nothing. Morally what stops them?
Having to blatantly lie.

Steve