[WikiEN-l] Dead wikipedians and how to really make a project boring to death

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 01:39:12 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I agree that allowing fair use in user space would be risky.
> Allowing ND or NC seems much less risky. And is a provision many people
> would feel like imposing on self-pictures.

Defamation and libel are illegal in their own right, and the really
abusive trolls are not going to care about what some licensing button
says. Commercial use? Who on Earth would want to make commercial use
of my ugly mug? And if you really worry about that, use a copyleft
license -- and force others to license their work freely if they
include yours.

Creative Commons, with its broad license catalog, encourages the
intrusion of law into what should really be social contracts. There's
no need to regulate every single human interaction with copyright.
It's tempting, but unnecessary. Tell people what your wishes are.
Avoid people who violate your social norms. Imagine a world without
copyright -- it wouldn't function all that badly. Some say it would
function better.

Erik