[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 23:22:33 UTC 2006

Matt Brown wrote:
> On 7/21/06, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> Today, we grab free images from sites like Flikr and don't even
>> contact the photographer... What a tremendous opportunity to bring in
>> more photographers. But it seems that, as a whole, Wikipedia is not
>> that interested in attracting photographers.
>
> Whenever I use a photographer's work from Flickr or anywhere else
> (CC-licensed, etc) I try and leave a comment on their photo.
> Generally it's much appreciated.
>
> I think a big mistake in our Flickr-sifting efforts is that we provide
> no feedback to those whose photos we use.  Perhaps just because it's
> easier not to or something, but comments are encouragement, and people
> who free-license stuff generally like to hear that stuff is
> appreciated.

What particularly irks me about Flickr is that people can change the
licenses on their photos; I came across a Featured Picture on Commons
the other day which had been uploaded in December 2005, tagged as
CC-BY-SA 2.0, had been uploaded to Flickr in November 2005, but when I
viewed the photo in July 2006 the tag on Flickr was CC-NC-ND 2.0. The
worst part is that the image on Flickr has no "history" page, and the
Internet Archive doesn't have the page, so there's no way I can verify
that the image was indeed tagged that way when it was uploaded to Commons.