[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is 30 times more popular than sex (actually: 34 times)

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 23:41:02 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think that table is actually about the top search terms that
> > Wikipedia receives traffic from. So "Wikipedia" is used in just over
> > 3% of searches which end up in a hit to Wikipedia, and "sex" is used
> > in 0.1% of searches which end up in a hit to Wikipedia.
>
> It's bizarre. I did a search for "sex" (with trepidation - I'm at
> work) and didn't see any links to Wikipedia. It's also strange that so
> many companies go to such a lot of work to get in the top few results
> for "sex", while we apparently get in quite easily, with no effort?
>
> Steve

Apparently there is a large market for quality and non-titillating
sexual information in article format... Entry into this engorging
market need not be stiff.

Digital Universe, you listening? This would be an attractive and
excellent niche, especially for people who make a fetish of reliablity
they've paid for. Although they would have to beat us off first, so
perhaps the first mover advantage makes such a proposition unalluring.

~maru