[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 26 23:01:28 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>Mark Wagner wrote:

>>>Most people don't distinguish between "plagiarism" and "copyright
>>>infringement" when it comes to writing: the school system is very
>>>effective at training people that simply copying the contents of the
>>>Encyclopedia Britannica isn't an acceptable way of writing a report,
>>>which is why we don't get very many instances of copyright violations
>>>with text.
>>>

>>Using the work of a PD author without credit would still be plagiarism,
>>but not copyvio.
>>

>As I understand it, under French (and possibly also German) law a
>content creator has "moral rights" (ie. right to attribution) even after
>copyright expires, which are (somehow) part of the copyright law.

Yes, there's even a loosely worded section about this in the US
copyright law.  Neverthelesss, the actual term "copyright" is defined
separately.  The confusion is understandable, but complying with the
moral rights should be a lot easier.  It's good scholarship even for
those works which have no protection at all.

Ec