[WikiEN-l] The Onion article on Wikipedia

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 15:53:38 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/06, Garion96 <garion96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Saw this on the administrators' noticeboard.
> >
> > http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902
>
> Good example of why I can't stand the Onion. Fact and fiction (or
> satire, if you prefer) totally mixed together, with no way of knowing
> which is which.  Some of the satire is well targeted, like the crack
> about LCD's influence on the drafting of the US constitution (we do
> have that kind of problem), but some is nonsense, like the Chuck
> Norris mention or the misspelling in "American Inderpendance". The
> article could make some telling points about vandalism, and other
> points about inaccuracies or hoaxes, but instead mixes them together
> as if they were the same thing.
>
> Why isn't there any good satire?
>
> Steve

Interesting - the reason I like the Onion is that they mix fact and fiction
together so well that you can't tell for sure.  But "American Inderpendence"
makes me wonder if the person who wrote the article doesn't read AN/I and
WikiEn-L - that spelling makes me think of Geni's unspellchecked
contributions.  As for the Chuck Norris comment and the ERIC IS A FAG -
suggests some familiarity with basic WP vandalism.  But didn't the Onion
have a truly brilliam article about WP about a year or so ago?