[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:56:48 UTC 2006

mboverload wrote:
[fixed top posting]
> On 7/21/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/21/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>> Not all articles use something as a source for itself (e.g., using an
>>> episode of Friends as a source on what happened in an episode of
>>> Friends).
>> An article about an episode that cites nothing but the episode itself
>> is a poor article. It amounts to an article about the Mona Lisa simply
>> putting a high resolution copy of the image and saying "you can see
>> for yourself". In order not to violate NOR, we could say very little
>> about the episode. We couldn't say if it was good or bad. We couldn't
>> say what fans thought about it. We couldn't say if the jokes were
>> funny. We couldn't say it was the first time Rachael kissed Ross.
>>
>> We could say "The episode lasted 23 minutes". We could offer a plot
>> summary. We could describe some of the gags. How boring.
>>

> I don't see the problem with bending the rules a bit for episodes.
> Who's it going to hurt?

Ultimately, it will hurt the rest of Wikipedia; instead of doing
*useful* editing, people will be adding /every single detail/ about
/every single episode/ of /every single TV show that ever was/, instead
of focussing on areas where we have no information, very little
information, or information that is inaccurate or doesn't make sense.

There's the entirely seperate issue of approaching copyright
infringement (Wikipedia, your source of TV and movie scripts on teh
intarwebs!), but I suspect that the point will be lost on you.