[WikiEN-l] fancruft

ScottL scott at mu.org
Wed Jul 26 01:29:06 UTC 2006

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/24/2006 1:52:48 AM Central Standard Time, scott at mu.org
> writes:
>
> I think the point is that we are not suppose to be writing  "literary
> criticism", or at least not *originating* it.  That would  be OR!  FOr
> the parts of the articles that consist of literary  criticism we are
> suppose to be summarizing not  creating.
>
> However, an article on a fictional work is not a  literary critique,
> it has some of that in it.   However in this  case it is an encyclopedia
> article and depending on the work may include a  lot more, some of which
> are facts that can (only?) be verified from the  original work.
>
> Though I think your point still stands that  summarizing the critiques
> that are out there would be much more difficult  for someone totally
> unfamiliar with the original  work.
>

> Dalf
>

> I see no issue in citing scripts for summarizing a series of facts  for a
> plot synopsis in an RPG (such as, "After Galbadia invaded Dollet, the  parliament
> dispatched a request for aid [1]."). Heck, in a situation where  one has to
> show a character changing over time, citing the RPG game script at  multiple
> points may be considered 'common sense synthesis' and not OR. I really  think
> it's a case by case basis, and must ask: how far out of context does  the
> Wikipedia synopsis take the original source? Moreover, I feel that finding a
> reliable summary or two may help round out the sources and give the Wikipedia
> synopsis more "freedom". A synopsis should list the events.
>

> | Tyler | Zorin Deckiller |

   I think that is what I said.  Facts that are indisputable from the
script "so and so was present at such and such an event" are ok.
Literary criticism "the color red was used throughout the film to
symbolize death and life" is not.  Basically anything that someone else
could disagree with after reading the work or watching the work has to
be sourced from outside the work, even if their disagreement is not 100%
reasonable.

SKL