[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:21:10 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> Trivia sections must die, in all articles, period. If you see one, do
> Wikipedia a favor and move it to the talk page (or remove it
> entirely).

I made much the same point back in February; if I was online I'd pull
out the link to the archives.

Here's one of the useful (ie. not "OMG WP:NOT paper") replies:
>> Subject: [WikiEN-l] "Trivia" sections in articles
>> To: wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
>>
>> They look ugly and unprofessional. Can we get a policy or something to
>> suggest that they be renamed "Miscellaneous information" or merged
>> into
>> the rest of the article?
>>
>> And while we're at it, can we get rid of "{{PAGENAME}} in popular
>> culture" sections?
>
> Much if not all of much of this content is unreferenced. People
> apparently just toss in stuff off the top of their head. Like lists,
> I think they become a game in which people try to think of something,
> anything that isn't there already.
>
> We should be proactive about putting {{unverifiedsect}} tags on these
> sections, {{fact}} tags on the unreferenced items, and removing them
> after a reasonable period of time and in a fair way. That will go a
> long way to solving the problem.
>
> I personally believe these items are valuable and interesting _if
> referenced._ Incidentally insisting on reference is also a reasonable
> filter against subtrivial cruft; if the Statue of Liberty appears _in
> an important way_ in some movie, Ebert or someone is likely to have
> mentioned it somewhere; if it is just a cameo appearance to establish
> that a ship is approaching New York, nobody is likely to comment on
> it outside of a personal blog or forum, and finding a reference will
> be hard.

My initial complaint was that "trivia" sections were ugly and stupid.
The insight of dpbsmith was that they are *harmful*. Sadly, everyone
forgot about it.