[WikiEN-l] fancruft

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com SonOfYoungwood at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 07:10:29 UTC 2006

In a message dated 7/24/2006 1:52:48 AM Central Standard Time, scott at mu.org
writes:

I think the point is that we are not suppose to be writing  "literary
criticism", or at least not *originating* it.  That would  be OR!  FOr
the parts of the articles that consist of literary  criticism we are
suppose to be summarizing not  creating.

However, an article on a fictional work is not a  literary critique,
it has some of that in it.   However in this  case it is an encyclopedia
article and depending on the work may include a  lot more, some of which
are facts that can (only?) be verified from the  original work.

Though I think your point still stands that  summarizing the critiques
that are out there would be much more difficult  for someone totally
unfamiliar with the original  work.

Dalf

I see no issue in citing scripts for summarizing a series of facts  for a
plot synopsis in an RPG (such as, "After Galbadia invaded Dollet, the  parliament
dispatched a request for aid [1]."). Heck, in a situation where  one has to
show a character changing over time, citing the RPG game script at  multiple
points may be considered 'common sense synthesis' and not OR. I really  think
it's a case by case basis, and must ask: how far out of context does  the
Wikipedia synopsis take the original source? Moreover, I feel that finding a
reliable summary or two may help round out the sources and give the Wikipedia
synopsis more "freedom". A synopsis should list the events.

| Tyler | Zorin Deckiller |
| Wikipedia Administrator |  Former SWU member |
| _http://www.myspace.com/redsectora_ (http://www.myspace.com/redsectora)   |