[WikiEN-l] So you think you can be a Wikipedia article

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 02:03:14 UTC 2006

On 23/07/06, stevertigo <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why don't more people focus on the core policies like verfiability
> > more when they attempt to address so called "notability" issues? :)
>
> Because Wikipedia has no leadership. It has 1000 sysops who are just "janitors"
> according to the dominant view, no editorial core, and a founder who has had
> argued enough with trolls and has gone wandering off into the land of politics.
>
> SV

No management expert will ever tell you that a group of 1000 people
will ever get anywhere in strategy terms very fast. It is simply too
large to facilitate effective communication and quick agreement on
issues. As you say, there is a core community group missing. There is
the board and related personnel at the top (aka, OFFICE) , followed by
a small group of judges(aka, bcrats) who dont make policy so much as
rule on it, and then there are the so called "janitors" (aka, sysops).

Following the highly successful national model with Cabinet, Courts,
and Parliament, it is the parliament that is missing. Right now, and
possibly from the wiki culture, the parliament is traditionally the
whole community with anyone who wants to have a say being able to do
so. I would contend that the size of such a parliament is limited in
its ability to make effective decisions.

The current heirarchy does not place any special policy related
privileges on the sysop layer, and I am not about to say that it
should, but in ignoring the Parliament layer it is missing an
essential branch in the proven three prong, "separation of powers"
model.

Peter Ansell