[WikiEN-l] So you think you can be a Wikipedia article

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 22:24:07 UTC 2006

On 24/07/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> That's a nice fantasy, but nobody works for no reward at all. For
> instance, we reward random editors by letting their contributions
> appear on a top-20 website; editors who continually have all their
> edits reverted eventually get the hint and go away. If every policy
> I propose gets shot down or subverted, how long do you think I'm
> going to keep doing it?
>
> Stan

I'm not saying there should be no reward. As you say, the reward is
helping the project, getting a featured article, getting a policy
through, or devising a new way to collaborate.

My point was that we don't want leaders who are leaders only because
they enjoy the perks. Our current system ensures that our transient,
changing leadership are those who want to do something for the
project, or believe the project should have some feature or device.
Institutionalised leadership tends lose sight of the project and be
lazy.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)