[WikiEN-l] So you think you can be a Wikipedia article

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Mon Jul 24 21:53:38 UTC 2006

Oldak Quill wrote:

>I see the equality between the old boys and the newbies as one of
>Wikipedia's greatest assets for the reasons I state above. It prevents
>anyone from becoming over-mighty and abusing their power and damaging
>Wikipedia. Leaders shouldn't come to the job because of the perks and
>benefits - they should fight for it because they truly want it and
>believe in the project.

That's a nice fantasy, but nobody works for no reward at all. For
instance, we reward random editors by letting their contributions
appear on a top-20 website; editors who continually have all their
edits reverted eventually get the hint and go away. If every policy
I propose gets shot down or subverted, how long do you think I'm
going to keep doing it?

Stan