[WikiEN-l] POV fork anyone? (coca cola)

Bogdan Giusca liste at dapyx.com
Sun Jul 23 16:13:25 UTC 2006

Sunday, July 23, 2006, 6:49:23 PM, you wrote:

SB>   I'm surprised no one else has noticed this one. We have an
SB> archetypical POV fork (see [[Wikipedia:POV fork]]) at [[The Coca-Cola
SB> Company]]. I was suspicious that it's so positive ("Corporate
SB> citizenship" and all the rest of it). It turns out all the criticism
SB> has been moved to [[Criticism of Coca-Cola]]. And to top it off, the
SB> criticism article isn't even linked from the main one!

SB> Anyone feel like investigating a bit? How did this come to be? I'd
SB> love a good conspiracy theory...

I think it's OK to speak in separate articles about individual issues
(like the Coca-Cola labor practices in Colombia), while mentioning and
linking them in the main article, but [[Criticism of ***]] articles
are clearly POV forks.

Some time ago, I tried to avoid the POV fork of Wal-Mart, but I got
a bunch of "Wal-Mart associates" insulting me and demanding me to stop
editing [[Wal-Mart]], because I'm a non-American who knows nothing on
what Wal-Mart really is. Eventually, I gave up, although the issue
did make the Slashdot main page:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/28/1331232
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wal-Mart

Anyway, since the [[Criticism of ***]] appear to be accepted, there
are now dozens of articles, springing up in all domains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Islam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Pope_John_Paul_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Family_Guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft