[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jul 23 04:30:32 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:

>On 7/21/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Steve Bennett wrote:

>>>No one, but no one, is claiming that synopsises of TV shows are
>>>fancruft.
>>>

>>Anthony apparently does. Here's what he wrote in the email this was a
>>response to:
>>

>>>I think summarizing something directly (e.g. using a Friends episode
>>>as a source for facts about itself) is, by its very definition,
>>>original research.  The Friends episode isn't even a primary source in
>>>this case - the Friends episode is the subject, and the summary would
>>>be the primary source.
>>>
>>>There are a number of reasons to do this.  One is that it helps lessen
>>>the amount of "fancruft".
>>>

>>I was mainly disagreeing with the notion that the episode itself isn't
>>an acceptable source for a description of the episode, but this other
>>notion about the summary being fancruft seems implied as well.
>>

>*Some* synopses of TV shows are what I think Jimbo is referring to
>when he uses the term "fancruft".  *Some* aren't.  One (reasonable, in
>my opinion) way to draw the line is whether or not another respectable
>source has talked about the episode.

If we waited for these books to be published we would never be up to
date.  At best a book of the episodes will be published at the end of
the season.  One important question is what does the reader want.  He
may be sitting with a group of friends talking about a favorite TV
programme, and as a result want to settle an argument about some
particular episode.  He's not looking for an academic thesis about the
show; he just wants to check out some basic facts.  He doesn't give a
tinker's dam about where WE got the information from the episode itself
or a book about it.  If he feels that our information is accurate he's
happy.

>This goes for Shakespeare as well as for Sopranos (*).  Both can be
>the subject of perfectly acceptable scholarly research.  But
>Wikipedians shouldn't be the ones doing the research, Wikipedians
>should be making an article which organizes the research done by
>others.
>
>(*) I doubt you'd find a published work of Shakespeare that *hasn't*
>been examined by multiple other sources, though.

That's because they've had 400 years to do it.

Ec