[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 19:59:08 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have already stripped new users and anons of far too many rights.
[snip]
> It is clear that we have completely lost sight of the original aims of
> Wikipedia.

(As an aside, it is bad form to reply to *me* to oppose someone elses
position which I don't share)

I'd really like to find out where you got this bizarre notion that
Wikipedia's orignal aim was to provide "rights" to new users and
"anons".

Wikipedia exists to make a Free Content Encyclopedia. It turns out
that being promiscuous about who we allow to edit helps that goal
rather well.  That does not imply that all forms of promiscuity are
beneficial. I expect you agree with this, or do you think we should
post our root passwords on the website too?   Once you have admitted
that there must be limitations,  it simply becomes a matter of
discussing what those limits should be.

I'd like to think that such discussions should be allowed to continue
dispassionately and without attracting hysterical cries about
"destroying the project" or "stripping rights".