[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Michael Hopcroft michael at mphpress.com
Wed Jul 19 21:32:10 UTC 2006

You know, I haven't really seen a good working definition of the term
"fancruft", yet I seem to have run afoul of the concept more often than
I have failed to. Mind you, the areas of my expertise (animation and
RPGs) are especially vulnerable to such claims, but I seem to be running
into it far more often than most other editors.

I would say that I have an objection to some of the ways the policy has
been applied, particularly to my own articles, but since I do not know
what the policy actually entails (all things considered) it is difficult
for me to form a rational response or objection to the times when I feel
it is applied unfairly or unwisely.

Could someone give me a non-judgmental (because it usually seems to be
applied to content that those who cite find objectionable for other
reasons, as in the case of the possibly offensive Archbishop Tutu joke
that Mr. wales cites) explanation of just what the term 'fancruft" means
and entails as a matter of Wikipedia policy?  (The apparently
contemptuous nature of the term 'fancruft" itself also sticks in my craw
as inherently judgmental, but that is neither here nor there.)