[WikiEN-l] insist on sources

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Jul 19 21:02:27 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:34:18 -0700, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com>
>wrote:
>

>>In practice (maybe I'm not looking in the right places), I don't
>>see much resistance to someone taking the initiative to remove
>>unsourced material. The problem is more that the scribbling is
>>outpacing the reviewing.
>>

>Depends.  I have been involved in several extremely bitter edit wars
>over the insertion of highly questionable content whose removal is
>condemned as "suppressing information".

Yeah, I've been working more in the science area these days, and
not only does it tend to have fewer rabid partisans, but there is
an ever-so-gradual influx of professional scientists for whom adding
citations is as natural as breathing. (Not long ago, I narrowly saved
myself from embarassment when I was about to disagree with an editor
on a fine point, then realized he was the very author of the printed
material open on my lap...)

Stan