[WikiEN-l] insist on sources

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Jul 19 20:34:18 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>I really want to encourage a much stronger culture which says: it is
>better to have no information, than to have information like this, with
>no sources.  Any editor who removes such things, and refuses to allow it
>back without an actual and appropriate source, should be the recipient
>of a barnstar.

In practice (maybe I'm not looking in the right places), I don't
see much resistance to someone taking the initiative to remove
unsourced material. The problem is more that the scribbling is
outpacing the reviewing.

Also, with articles that already have references (which is true of
many of them now), it's usually not obvious whether newly-added
material is coming from the listed references, or from an unlisted
reference, or is simply made up, and often only people with the
physical works open on their laps are in a position to check.

I don't have any answers, just noting the daily quandaries.

Stan