[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jul 18 11:12:17 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > And it's not the way that I went.  I don't think any crime is
> > sufficient to overcome one's right to privacy, at least to some
> > extent.  I do think the crime Peppers is convicted of is sufficient,
> > though.
>
> Huh? Didn't he grope a nurse at his nursing home or something? Talk to
> someone at works at these places, that's an everyday occurrence.

If it's an everyday occurrence, then do you really think that's what happened?

The person who made up the story about Peppers accidently groping a
nurse has admitted that it was a hoax.

> Even if he was a rapist or child molester, I don't see why his right to
> privacy should necessarily be diminished - unless the Wikipedia
> community takes it upon itself to decide that additional punishment
> needs to be meted out to such people.

So why don't we delete [[John Couey]] and all the others in
[[Category:Convicted child sex offenders]]?  Are we punishing them?

In fact, who *can* we have an article about?  Only people who give us
permission?  Or are there some people we're allowed to punish?

> > Sure, and I think providing information about Brian Peppers does make
> > the encyclopedia better.  But at the same time I think we have to
> > consider personal privacy issues.  Both have to be present.  Articles
> > have to make the encyclopedia better, but they also have to refrain
> > from violating the privacy rights of the subject.
>
> I don't think that writing "Brian Peppers was an internet meme due to
> his oversized head" is violating his privacy. Naming the nursing home
> where he lives or providing details on the offence he committed could
> be.

I don't think there's any reason to name which nursing home he lives
at, of course this information is relatively easy to find anyway.

As for providing details on the offence he committed, I most certainly
don't think that's a violation of his privacy.

Anthony