[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

ScottL scott at mu.org
Tue Jul 18 02:09:34 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> OT: I was irked today when I went to look up OMFGWTFBBQ in Wikipedia,
> only to find a redirect to [[Internet slang]], which didn't actually
> mention it. Nor did [[List of internet slang]]. In fact there *was* a
> useful definition once upon a time, but it got deleted by someone
> zealously enforcing WP:NOT. What can I say - the encyclopaedia let me
> down on this one.
>
> Steve

WARNING: topic drift

   Without claiming that we should or should not have such a entry in
those articles, I have for a long time been interested in looking
through the DB dump for redirects to pages that do not contain the term
being redirected to them, or something close.  Its the "or something
close" and the fact that some times this is probably "ok" that makes it
hard to just do this.  In any event I have frequently come across very
bad redirects, some of them POV some of them I think people did just to
avoid having a red link. Is there any sort of redirect auditing being
done?  I can't say I know of a good way to go about it efficiently but
its is worth thinking about.

Dalf